Sunday, January 18, 2009

Topeka to Auburn


Yesterday was the Topeka to Auburn 1/2 Marathon. Brad invited me out to do it with him, he has done it a few times in years past. It turned out to be a great event all around. Aside from some strong winds at time, the weather warmed up into the upper 30's and was sunny - perfect.
The race is a one-way course from Topeka to the small town of Auburn, KS. We parked at the finish, and rode a bus to the start - a van took our gear bags back to Auburn for us to pick up at the finish.
We lined up about mid-pack at the starting line, and held a pace in the upper 7:00's for the majority of the first half. About mile 6 or 7, we sped up and maintained a pace in the low 7:00's for the next for miles. Around mile 10, I was still feeling pretty good, so I turned up the tempo just a bit more logging a sub 7:00 mile and holding through a sprint to the finish. I had just passed a girl right before the finish when I heard my name announced, then the girls name along with a notation that she was the first female to finish. So...at least I beat all the female participants. Final time was 1:39:50, 57th out of 270 runners.






No comments: