Sunday, January 25, 2009

Back to the Woods

This morning was the first time I hit the trails in quite a while. A lot of excuses have kept me staying with the convenience of road running pretty much a winter. I was reminded of what I had missed out on and how awesome it is to cruise through the woods just after dawn.
I ran 21 miles total this morning, but did the first 12 on the roads, timing my arrival at the trails with sunrise so I didn't have to mess with a headlamp. It snowed just enough this morning to coat the trails themselves with a white film - highlighting the singletrack as it snaked through the trees - it looked very cool (wish I had brought a camera). Obviously, my pace slowed down when I hit the trails, and even though my legs could tell they hadn't been off pavement for a couple months, I still felt good through the entire run, including my last and fastest miles back to my car which was parked 3 miles away from the trails.
It was only 16 degrees this morning, but the wind was relatively light so I was very comfortable the whole time. I wore tights with shorts over, a fitted long sleeve shirt, tech t-shirt, and my Reebok running jacket. I wore a face mask and double gloves with hand warmers in them.
Great morning overall. Looking forward to hitting the trails more often.

2 comments:

General Ursus said...

Hadn't been on here in awhile. Glad to see your still postin'. I gotta lose the weight so I can get out there on those trails with you (I've actually taken steps to do this).

Dennis said...

That's cool - you'll be joining Bronco too!