Sunday, March 22, 2009

31 mile training run

Today was my last long run before Brew to Brew in two in weeks. I went 31 miles at an average pace of 8:38. I felt pretty good the whole time, never got sick or tired enough for a walk break. I was shirtless for the last 5-6 miles, which was a weird sensation after so many cold weather runs lately. It seems like it went from freezing temps to hot in just a matter of weeks. I only had two gels the whole run, but added in some solid food instead, which I think helps my energy levels. After 6 miles, I had a banana...then a gel after 12...at 18 I had a PB & honey sandwich...then a kid's cliff bar around mile 22...I had another gel around mile 25...then crunched on some Peanut M&M's for the remainder of the run.
I have been going back and forth between running the Olathe marathon next weekend (the weekend before Brew to Brew) and just going at an easy pace, but I've opted to stay away from it and getting some rest before the Brew's 44 miles. I don't really have a time goal B-to-B, but of course I'd like to feel like I did my best. Running a marathon the week before, and knowing that I'd get caught up in the excitement and run too fast, isn't probably the wisest of ideas - especially since the race wasn't even on my schedule for this spring. It's best to skip it and go for a good time at Lincoln. Plus, Garrett is having a big sleepover the night before, and Mendy could probably use some help with all the boys that morning.

No comments: