Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Preparations

This past Friday morning was my last true training run before the marathon this coming weekend. I ran my typical route for that day of 7 rolling miles from my front door to the highway and back averaging 7:33 per mile. The weekend before I ran 15 miles at an easy 7:55 pace. Overall, I'm pleased with the pace I've been running over the past several weeks, as I have been taking deliberate training efforts to get it down, but I'm a little uncertain of my overall preparations for the race this coming weekend.
I would have preferred to get a 20+ miler in between the Dogwood 50K and this weekend, but time just didn't allow to safely get that kind of mileage in. Oh well, it's not the distance that I'm worrying about covering, it's a silly little obsession with time - I would be thrilled to run 3:30. I'll be happy with a solid finish, but I have that nagging time goal in the back of mind. Judging by my shorter distance runs, the time is attainable, but is certainly not a given or necessarily even likely. My fear is that I start too fast in hopes of hitting it, and then die off in the final miles and come limping in. But if I don't start out right, chances of picking up the required time with a major negative split could prove difficult. Oh well, I'll just run hard by feel this weekend and see what happens.

2 comments:

General Ursus said...

Good luck, Sarge! I got your email last night before I went to bed, but haven't had a chance to look it over thorougly yet. What I did read looks very detailed which is good. I'm going to look at it right now and I'll send you an email with questions and comments.

Mendy said...

you really are obsessed with time. See I have a nagging time in the back of my head too...it is just an hour and 10 minutes slower than yours